Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Sugar Bowl 2008...off to New Orleans!

The University of Utah has a rich history of college sports. In my first year attending the U, the Utes had prominent seasons both in football and in basketball. Alex Smith led the team to an undefeated season, busting the BCS with a great victory over Pitt in the 2005 Fiesta Bowl. He was drafted into the NFL as the number one overall draft pick.
While Smith was throwing the pigskin on the field, Andrew Bogut was piloting his crew to a winning season on the court. He also was drafted number one overall into the NBA.
I remember feeling proud to be a Ute as I walked around the campus that year. Although it was the hardest year of my life, feeling lost because of what was behind me (high school) and what lied ahead of me (mission), I found joy knowing that my school was great and recognized.
Fast forward to 2008. College football wasn't my main interest. I enjoy football; I like watching it; but I didn't follow. Needless to say, the Utes had an incredible year. It was win upon win upon win. There were a few close games (vs. TCU), and people can make all the claims they want about an easy schedule or terrible reffing, but when all is said and done, winning all 12 games in a season is impressive. The Utes, again, busted the BCS and were fortunate to receive a well-deserved invitation to the Sugar Bowl. It was to be played in New Orleans. In an attempt to spend time with his growing boys, my dad planned a trip and basically told us we were going. It was an awesome trip. The game was played January 2. New Orleans is a great place - fun to visit. We went throught the WWII Museum dedicated to D-Day. It was fun being with my bros and old man.
The game was amazing - the Utes jumped to a 21-0 lead in the first quarter and the game was history. It really silenced all the Alabama fans who before had been relentlessly taunting any Ute in sight.
What a trip...

No comments: