Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Winding down in Washington

It's 10:58 p.m. on April 21, 2010. Coming up with something entertaining to say is actually quite a task. The only reason for this post is for a change of scenery. I'm afraid that the 3 people who actually read my blog will lose a bit more respect for me every time they see a picture of Barbie and the Rockers. Although those memories are dear to my heart, I don't think they should be the welcoming face to my blog.

Thinking about my time in DC is interesting. It feels like I have been here for so long sometimes. I've finally started feeling pretty comfortable at the office (handling angry constituents has become a pleasure, really). I guess the main reason this journey has seemed so lengthy is because of the relationships I've made here. I've reached the point that it's hard to understand how I had a life before knowing some friends I've made. People in the office, in the ward, and in my home have been a huge influence on my life - and mostly good influences.

One of my all-time pet peeves used to be when people would say, "I've learned so much about myself," or something similar. I now know what people mean when they say that and why they say it. I have learned some good things about myself - surprising and reassuring. Other things aren't so good, again surprising but certainly not reassuring.

Coming home will be, as the saying goes, bitter-sweet. I'll miss the eye-popping buildings and mind-boggling history this city has. It will be nice to have a car, though (I don't feel bad at all for missing the Metro cars jam-packed with summer tourists who get in the way and sweat too much). I'll miss most the relationships I made that will be left here, especially those I wish could have been stronger.

Anyway, I hope those are enough words to push Barbie to the bottom of the screen.

3 comments:

Barrett Family said...

Nice change of blog scenery... not that I don't love Barbie as well. It feels like yesterday you were interviewing for DC and now you're getting ready to come home. Time is a crazy thing. Wish you could make a stop in Iowa on the way home. The three of us are SUPER excited to see you this summer!

Sherri said...

I don't know .... seems like "Brady" and "Barbie" kinda go together!!! See you soon!

Kirk and Joan said...

So glad you've had this experience in D.C. Pretty amazing place isn't it! Next time we see you we'll have lots of experiences to compare.