Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Politcally incorrect

I recently graduated from the University of Utah with a degree in Business Information Systems and Political Science.  Thankfully I was able to find employment that will use, and expand, my technical knowledge and skills.  What a blessing and relief it was to find a good job amid such economic lulls.  In the first few weeks of my job I have faced satisfaction and frustration, with glimpses of greatness and even bigger glimpses of failure.  But that's how a new job is, I suppose.


Why the combo of information systems and political science?  Because I found myself in the business school disliking accounting, which led me to do an internship in DC where I became interested in politics.  I enjoyed being in the political world, especially the nation's capital.  Since then I have followed political activity, though somewhat casually.

Maybe I didn't take the right courses.  Maybe I didn't pay attention in class.  And maybe I just don't care that much about politics, but I think it gets so silly.

I like the political process.  I think it is good that laws cannot be passed all willy-nilly.

What I do not appreciate, however, is the childish bickering that we see every day.  I don't like the personal attacks on personality, religion, family, or anything else of that matter.  America is like a business, in my opinion, so the person in power should be qualified.  Besides that, especially in this time of crisis, little else matters.

Why does it matter if the president is man or woman?  Black or white?  Muslim, Christian, or Jew?  I spent my summer in Jordan and have seen incredible Muslim people.  I've seen horrible Muslim people (who steal backpacks that contain everything necessary to live in the Middle East).  I know excellent Latter-day Saints and pathetic Latter-day Saints.  You'll find what you are looking for in any religion, or atheism for that matter, so I don't understand how that matters in any way.

I get confused about the stark divide between Republicans and Democrats.  Once, while discussing politics with some friends, I was told that "people who say they're Independent are ignorant and don't understand politics at all.  They're stupid."

What's more stupid than refusing to budge on some issue because of political parties?  From what I know, Independents consider themselves to be in the middle, willing to work with either side.  And the problem with that is....?

Some bosses are jerks.  I dare say that most bosses are jerks.  But why are they the bosses?  Because they do things.  They finish things.  They delegate things.  No one cares about their personal life.

I realize there is much to consider when talking about politics.  America isn't a business.  America is not a religion.  But seeing what happens every day in the political world is sickening to me.  Never would I ever consider running for political office.  I wouldn't want to give anyone the opportunity to write about how incapable I am of running a town because I eat at a certain restaurant or read the wrong newspaper.

For fear of sounding anti-American, I end my rant here.  I love America.  I cherish America.

(Cue Neil Diamond's "They're Coming to America.")


1 comment:

Hayden Blackburn said...

I don't know a whole lot about politics but I think this country has gotten into a conundrum. We wish to see good men be put in office that work well and have parties that help each other and these good men know how to run a country with courage and virtue and have a term unspotted from scandals and deceit. Politics, seems to me to be only about the parties and which one is "better" than the other and how long one person can stay in power. Because now it seems democrats and republicans are more interested with fighting each other than trying to get work done. It seems that people vote for their party even though the other runner might be better. Your post made me think of a few questions, first, would we be better without political parties? and the second was why must our country be at such a stalemate? I think the answer to my first question is you get parties whether you want them or not because democracies always will have parties, it's a way for the runner to raise money and have a good support group, a candidate backed by a party is stronger. Less animosity between the parties would be nice but as long as people are free to talk about politics there will always be groups formed. It's sad because it seems once they get into office they don't keep the promises they say they will do or do things that would consider them more of like other party so overall they are just about pleasing their party enough to get into office, and they won't ever go away because they're stronger than the individuals hence why small party leaders never win. And the answer to my second question has to be power. Politicians are supposed to be put in to help make America better but...is that the real motivation behind all the politicians? I think if it was, the parties would work better together. It's sad really, they want to be in office and get the other group out so they can make laws/plans that hurt their opposing party but are "necessary" for our country to progress. Your ideas are great, I wish that is how everyone looked at politics that way. Brady for President! ya? ha anyways, here's a quote: "However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."---GEORGE WASHINGTON