Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

And the Celtics go down.

I like LeBron James.

There.  I said it.

In fact, I hope he wins an NBA Championship.  This year, even.  I could not have been more pleased that the Heat finally put the aging Celtics to rest last week.  Any Celtics-lover or LeBron-hater is probably wondering what could possibly make me say these things.  Where do I begin?

Here's a guy who was drafted out of high school  Eventually he became the franchise player and the league MVP.  He decided to leave his rookie team in search of a championship.  He landed on a team where he would be sharing the spotlight with two other "superstars."

That's right.  I'm talking about Kevin Garnett

LeBron James was also drafted out of high school.  He also became the franchise player for the Cavs and the league MVP.  He also left his rookie team in search of a championship.  And yes, he landed on a team where he would be sharing the spotlight with two other "superstars."

People love KG.  People hate LJ.  I don't understand it.

"It's not what LeBron did.  It's how he did it."  Yes, I've heard this line of reasoning from, well, everyone.  I'm not saying that The Decision was a good idea.  In fact, I thought it was rather cheesy.  But imagine being the best player in the world, having had "the next Michael Jordan" thrown at you since early high school.  You aren't winning in Cleveland.  You need something else.

Didn't Kevin Garnett do the same thing?  

You then have this opportunity presented to you saying that you can raise millions of dollars for a charity by broadcasting your decision on television.

No, it was not a good idea.  At least the charity got a bunch of money.

So he made a bad decision.  In 2010.  A full two years ago.  Isn't it time to get over it?

The reaction to The Decision was ridiculous.  Sure, Cleveland fans deserved to be bothered.  But burning his jersey in the streets?  That's a bit extreme.  And Dan Gilbert's letter to the fans?  Absurd.

Like I said, The Decision was just bad.  We all know it.  But it's time to move on.  It's time to let go.

1 comment:

Sara said...

valid points my friend. valid points.

i can see your side. i'm a tad bit biased because i really do love the Celtics. but you're right. i'll try to be a little harsh about bron-bron.